Interesting Facts About Diamonds
Updated: Apr 4, 2019
1. The word diamond comes from the Greek word “adamas,” meaning invincible or indestructible.
2. Diamonds are made of nearly 100% carbon. They form typically from 90 to 120 miles below the surface under temperatures of 1652-2372 degrees Fahrenheit and immense pressure. It forms the crystalized structure to be brought to the surface from volcanic eruptions.
3. Diamonds are anywhere from 1 to 3.3 billion years old.
4. The largest diamond ever discovered on earth is the Cullinan diamond, which weighed 3106 carats, or 1.33 pounds. It was discovered in 1905 and given to King Edward to eventually be cut into nine large diamonds and 100 smaller ones. The three largest are on display in the Tower of London as part of the crown jewels.
5. The first known use of a diamond engagement ring was in 1477, when Archduke Maxmillian of Austria gave Mary of Burgundy a gold ring with Diamonds that formed the shape of an M in the setting.
6. Discovered in 2004, scientists found a planet that is 1/3 diamond!!! The planet orbits a nearby star in the Milky Way, and is named “55 Cancri e”. They also discovered a star that is believed to be a diamond of ten billion trillion carats. They named the star Lucy after the song titled “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, by the Beatles.
7. Diamonds can be burned. It takes temperatures of 1290-1650 degrees Fahrenheit, but it can actually burn. House fires and jewelers’ torches have been known to reach that temperature.
8. A professor of chemistry at the University of St. Andrews, Wuzong Zhouk, suggests around 1.5 million diamond nanoparticles can be found in a candle’s flame!
9. If you’re looking to have an everlasting connection with a loved one who has passed away, there’s an option to compress their ashes and turn it into a man-made diamond. This way you will be able to cherish them forever.
10. Scientists have discovered dwarf stars in outer space contain diamond cores, one of which is the largest diamond in the universe weighing an impressive 2.27 thousand trillion tons and holds up to 10 billion carats in weight.
11. Diamonds aren’t just the hardest of all substances – they’re actually 58 times harder than any other natural material; however, a diamond can chip!!!
Accent Jewelers and Loans in Memphis buys diamonds, whether they are loose or in a setting. Yes, your unused diamond jewelry, .01 carat and up, can be turned into cash today! There is no charge for evaluation on items we offer to purchase. Our GIA Graduate Gemologists can provide the value of your diamonds. This allows us to offer the best price for loose diamonds, diamond jewelry, or any other fine jewelry you want to sell.